The preoperative patient is usually interested in and concerned about the anesthesia that he will receive. He has probably heard a lot of negative talk from family, friends, and the news media about anesthesia and has usually formed an opinion as to the good or bad points of various methods in use. It is strongly advised that the anesthesiologist/anesthetist and the operating room nurse make a preoperative visit to the patient. This visit will help to allay many of the fears that exist in the patient's mind,
will help in building confidence, and will enable the patient to recognize familiar faces in the operating room.
Before surgery, the anesthesiologist/anesthetist reviews the patient's chart, evaluates the laboratory data and diagnostic studies, verifies the surgical procedure, examines the patient, and discusses the option for anesthesia and the attendant risks.
The following factors are important in selecting an anesthetic agent:
(1) Type of surgery.
(2) Depth and extent of anesthesia required.(3) Anticipated length of the procedure.
(4) Patient's condition.
(5) Patient's previous experiences with anesthesia.
(6) Preferences of the anesthesiologist/anesthetist and the patient.
(7) Available equipment.
(8) Skill of the anesthesiologist/anesthetist.
(9) Age of the patient.
CONTENTS by CHAPTER:
1. Anesthesia Drug Allergy, 115 slides
2. Anesthesia Monitoring, 127 slides
3. Intravenous Sedation Monitoring, 55 slides
4. Anesthesia And Neurosurgery, 79 slides
5. Anesthesia And Pharmacology, 110 slides
6. Regional Anesthesia, 64 slides
7. Thoracic And Vascular Anesthesia, 62 slides
8. Intraoperative Awareness, 64 slides
9. Cardiac Anesthesia, 277 slides
10. Clinical Pharmacology and Cellular Mechanisms of Anesthesia, 110 slides
11. Electrolyte and Acid-Base Disorders Anesthesia, 86 slides
12. Fluids, 47 slides
13. Opioid Induced Hyperalgesia, 55 slides
14. Anesthetic Management of the Jehovah’s Witness, 49 slides
15. Hospital Safety, 211 slides
16. Ohmeda 885A Anesthesia Apparatus, 61 pages
16. Video - Administer Spinal Anesthesia
17. Video - Anesthesia And You
18. Video - Keeping An Open Mind: Choices In Labor Analgesia