F. H. Humphreys came to India for the first time in 1911 to join the Police Department as an Assistant Superintendent at Vellore. He started learning Telugu from S. Narasimhayya, a teacher.
One day, before commencing his daily lesson, he drew a picture of a mountain cave, with a figure of a sage standing at its entrance, and with a small mountain stream flowing in front of it. He showed it to Narasimhayya and told him he had a vivid dream of it the previous night and asked what it could mean. Narasimhayya was convinced that the vision could be none other than that of the Maharshi at the Virupaksha cave. He then went on to describe the Sage’s life of Supreme Realisation. It was in this way that Humphreys first came to know of the Sage of Arunachala.
Within a few days he was introduced to Kavyakantha Ganapathi Sastri, and was taken by him in November 1911 to see Ramana Maharshi at Tiruvannamalai.
. . .
“His body was the instrument of God. . . from which God was radiating terrifically.
“The most touching sight was the number of tiny children up to about seven years of age, who climb the Hill, all on their own, to come and sit near the Maharshi, even though he may not speak a word nor even look at them for days together. They do not play but just sit there quietly, in perfect contentment.”